That's My Son

I am reading the book That's My Son (How Moms can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character) by Rick Johnson. I read it a few months ago but decided to start over. I am hoping that by really diving into this book it will help me as I try to raise my boys.

Last night I read the first couple of chapters and a couple of things really hit me. First, the Bible tells us Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6. I have read this verse a million times but this time I decided to break it down.

Train (in Webster) 3 a : to form by instruction, discipline, or drill b : to teach so as to make fit, qualified, or proficient.
I am to teach, instruct, discipline my children:

In the way he should go this is normally the hard part. Each child is unique, a gift from the Lord. Each child sees the world differently and is affected by different things. While I can have one set of rules in my house using the same form of discipline for each child will not be effective. Why? because they are different. As a homeschooled parent I can understand how my children learn in different ways, they need to be disciplined in different ways also. I have to guide them along the path the Lord has laid out for them not the path that I may want.

and when he is old he will not depart from it. A lot of kids take the scenic route at times. I know I sure did it took years for me to actually become a Christian. As much as I pray that my children do not take the scenic route there will more than likely come a time when they are not walking with the Lord as much as they should be. However, by training them to keep their eyes on the Lord and to follow Him they will soon come back. Although you might think it won't happen and be in prayer for months over your son's the Bible tells us that if we train them in the direction they are to go they will not depart from it. That is a promise.

That verse seems easy enough until you try to apply it. I do not know what exactly the Lord has planned for my boys but my feelings and emotions can get in the way. So it comes down to one of the first questions in Rick Johnson's book. Am I willing to sacrifice my son?

Many women in the Bible gave up their son's. Hannah was blessed with a child then sent him to work for the Lord. Moses mom hid him then sent him in a basket down the river. Mary watched as her son died on the cross so that we may have eternal life. Each of these three women sacrificed their son in some way. They gave their children to the Lord.

The first thing I need to do to make sure that I raise Godly sons (or daughters) is to give them to the Lord. He blessed me with my children and they are in my care so that I may guide them, teach them, train them so that they will follow Jesus. I must be willing to give them totally to the Lord and be ready to sacrifice my son's for the Lord.

My Prayer:
Heavenly Father
You have blessed me with my 2 beautiful boys.
You have shown me how I am to guide them and teach them in your Word.
Yet, I sometimes fall short and forget the instructions you have given me.
Help me so that I may train them the way you want me to.
Be with me as I guide them to look to You in all things.
Help me remember that they belong to You and are only in my care for a short while.
Give me the courage and strength I need so that I may let go of any worldly notions and raise them as Your children. So that they may walk with you forever.
In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments: