Missed the Mark

The sermon started out fairly well and I had my notebook and Bible open. It was looking like this was going to be a good message. That didn't last long, I was trying to listen but kept coming up with key points the Pastor did not even come close to touching. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture?

I know I prefer a different style of preaching but that does not mean a sermon is not any good. I just think it could have been so much better. Today's message was "Sin: What Is It?" Now this is a message the church needs to hear, especially a Methodist church (well at least mine). This is a message that should light a fire and get people thinking, moving, praying, repenting. This is a message that should hit on the major points and bring someone (meaning me) to my knees. Instead I was left coloring in the circles on my bulletin and praying that the nursery would send a signal to the buzzer that was currently clipped on my jean pocket.

When Pastor asked what sin was, he gave the most basic definition. That I could handle, what I could not handle was the fact that through an entire message on sin he could talk about God forgiving us, us crucifying Jesus again every time we sin, but not once did he say that the wage of sin is death and that we must repent. Instead he wrapped it in a pretty package and everyone can go home feeling fine. The conclusion of his sermon was to be forgiven we must forgive. Nowhere in his message did he mention that to be forgiven we must be saved. Nowhere did he make an altar call other than telling us that we don't have an altar we have a mourners bench. Which we can use and pray at. I guess that is where we are forgiven but there was no emphasis on asking for that forgiveness. In my opinion he really missed the mark on this one.

No comments: