Animal Tracks and Scat ID

Track animals and identify poop - every homeschool mother's dream! You can check out a few pictures that Micah took of different scat on his blog. Trust me he took a lot more but I only let him put a few on there. He wanted to put all of them and out of 61 pictures taken today I believe 40 are of tracks and scat. So I will post a couple of the actual children learning about this interesting subject.

I must admit though I to learned something new today. I did not know that owl pellets are actually like a hair ball. They cough it up - it does not go through their digestive track!! Interesting to me but I know some of you may not find that as appealing, lol.

The actual program though was good. The boys had a wonderful time. The only downfall was that Xavier's track he had cast was to close to the river. Therefore when a boat went by it had made a wake which got his cast wet again. So his turkey track broke into a few pieces. The instructor was really nice and gave him some plaster to take home so he can find another track and make a cast of it. Of course he went looking as soon as he got home. Unfortunately he could only find the rare Shortcake dog and the old Tune-Tune dog's tracks. Maybe in the morning he will have better luck. They were lucky enough to find gopher tortoise and rabbit scat in the yard (as well as the Shortcake & Tune-Tune) Luckily they are not drying out the dog poop. But I do have polyurethaning rabbit and tortoise poop in my near future. The things I let my children collect. Lord please help me because I know this is just the beginning of our adventure.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: