"Not School" Learning

As all the kids in our neighborhood walked to school or hitched a ride on the big yellow bus today I sat on the porch thinking about how thankful I am to be at home with my children. I am thankful that I do not have to wake them up early during the dog days of summer to rush them out the door so they can sit in a classroom with 20-30 other kids learning from a prescribed curriculum. I am thankful I do not have to worry about whether they are bored to death, being challenged enough, or being held back because their interest is not something which does not correspond to their age. I am thankful we can go as fast or as slow as we want when it comes to different subjects. Most of all I am thankful that I/we do not have to look at the middle of August as the end of summer and the beginning of fall (which officially starts September 23rd).

So while hundreds of thousands of children across America watch their summer come to an end today. We enjoyed every moment of of our summer day and even did some "NOT SCHOOL" learning along the way. To many it may look like we spent the day playing (we did), but learning happens all the time.

So here's a look at our "Not School" Learning day...

Our morning consisted of watching "Secrets of the Dead: China's Terracotta Warriors". A trip to the library where a miracle happened and we only came home with 1 bag full of books & played puppets:







Our afternoon/evening was spent reading, drawing, napping (Sabrina & I), playing video games, watching Thomas videos, building tracks, swimming at the pool, and more reading. While it was a fun-filled day for us, plenty of learning was taking place. Objectives covered today: social skills, research techniques, history, the judicial system, science, religious beliefs, creativity/art, physical education, money skills, strategy, nutrition, our body/GMO foods, air streams, and more. It was a pretty awesome "No School" Learning day :-)

No comments: